After the fourth explosion in less than three weeks in Austin, Texas, officials said on Monday that it appears to be the work of a serial bomber. Authorities warned that the devices appear to be getting more sophisticated. Austin Police Chief Brian Manley said “we are clearly dealing with a serial bomber,” adding that he was unable to answer questions about whether the incidents should be considered domestic terrorism. “We will have to determine if we see a specific ideology behind this.” The most recent occurrence was on Sunday just after 8:30 p.m. local time, when two bicyclists received non-life-threatening injuries after apparently setting off a tripwire in the southwest of the city. “With this tripwire, this changes things,” said Christopher Combs, special agent in charge of the FBI’s San Antonio division. “It’s more sophisticated, it’s not targeted to individuals … a child could be walking down a sidewalk and hit something.” The two latest victims, white men ages 22 and 23, set off the bomb that had been left next to a fence and were recovering in the hospital with “significant injuries,” Manley said.
The FBI has sent 350 special agents to the Texas capital as well as extra bomb squads.